Namibia has a timeless appeal for all those that live here, engendering a passion beyond logical reasoning, and a yearning to share this awesome land with others. It also time and again grows on travellers - even explorers found them drawn to return in spite of all they had suffered. Before long, the spell of the country holds the traveller, and he can never forget what he has experienced and seen. With nostalgia he will always recall the awesome, haunting soulfulness of the desert, the vast expanses of the south and the red dune belts of the Kalahari Desert.
The surreal palette of colours of the monumental dunes against white dust earth reaching into the blue sky at Sossusvlei always remain the intrepid photographer’s dream, where the amateur looks professional. The rolling savannah of the central plateau & the wild bush country stretches north towards the Okavango where the country mystically unravels into lush rainforests adorning the banks of raging rivers. The country is liberating in its harsh natural beauty, which will inspire your senses and captivate your soul.
- Capital City: Windhoek
- Area: 825 615 km² / 318 772 Square Miles
- Population: 2.3 Million
- Time zone: GMT +1 April - August; GMT +2 September - March
- Currency: Namibian Dollar (NAD)
- Electricity: 220V
- Geography: From sandy dunes to rocky canyons, Namibia is home to two deserts - the Namib and the Kalahari.
- Climate: Summer 19 - 28°C / 66 - 82°F; Winter 14 - 24° / 57 - 75°F
- Language: English is the official language; Shona and Ndebele are the first languages of 98% of the population
- Religion: Predominantly Christian